Welcome to Year 2
Mrs Elliott and Mrs Zand form the Year 2 teaching team.
We aim to deliver a thoroughly engaging, creative curriculum that encourages our children to become fully immersed in their learning while consistently continuing to provide and reinforce basic maths and English skills.
From first hand observations in the autumn term of the caterpillar to butterfly lifecycle, creating our own snail snugs and wormeries to activities such as exploring squidgy, gooey ‘Muck, Mess and Mixtures’, creating unique marbling prints and painting with ice cubes.
During the spring term we take on the role of ‘Street Detectives’ to further explore our community both past and present, and think about how we can become the guardians of our own environment.
This leads us to then explore the ‘Towers, Tunnels and Turrets of Durham Castle and discover just what life was like hundreds of years ago. Perhaps we may even find some secret tunnels and passages!
In summer we will explore the astounding world of the scented garden and will be looking out for some wild and dangerous plants out there that do astonishing things.
Finally we will study the human and physical features of our coastlin
es … How will these compare to our previous study of Brandon?
Maths and English
Maths, English and spellings / phonics are taught each morning in year two. We focus on firmly embedding basic skills and provide children with additional intervention and booster sessions where needed in preparation for end of key stage SATs.
We strive to ensure links are made through literacy to our wider curriculum where reading, writing and SPAG are taught through a range of engaging texts.
Day to Day Life
- Reading books are sent home daily and we encourage children to read at least three times a week with an adult at home. Your support with this is invaluable.
- Topic homework is sent home on a half termly basis while maths homework is given out on a Friday, to be returned the following Wednesday.
- Spelling / Phonics homework is sent home on Monday and tests take place on a Friday. We encourage children to practise spellings in the book they take home.
- Some children may bring word reading books home where they need to learn approximately 10 words by sight. They will be tested between 1-2 weeks later after lots of practise at home and in school, before being given their next set of words to learn.
- Year two swimming sessions take place on Monday and PE on Tuesday. Please leave PE kit in school for the full half term.